Tuesday, January 4, 2011

A cure for homesickness - Kuih Bangkit


Moving halfway across the globe only to find that I'm homesick for many nyonya foods and desserts that I don't usually eat when I was there. Though we can still find Malaysian restaurant here, but there is a serious lack of decent nyonya kuih.

After moving here, I have learned to make some of my favourite nyonya kuih - angku kuih, kuih talam, kuih ubi kayu (cassarva), kuih dadar. DIY is the only way to ease my craving. If I were still in Malaysia, I don't think I even bother to learn, because we are surrounded with authentic nyonya foods and desserts.


If you are Malaysian or Singaporean who has been here for many years, you may not remember the name of this cookie, but I'm sure you won't forget the taste of this cookie. Many of our friends who have been here for many decades recall this cookie as one of the Chinese New Year cookies. Kuih Bangkit is known with its light, crispy and melt in the mouth texture. You sure will find it in every house that you visit. There are many Chinese New Year cookies that I like, one of my favourite is this one.


Kuih Bangkit


350g Tapiaco flour
350g Sago flour
3 egg yolks
200g icing sugar
6-8 pandan leaf
extra tapioca flour for dusting and kneading


  1. Fry tapiaco flour and sago flour together with pandan leaves on low heat until light. Let cool.
  2. Preheat oven to 350F.
  3. Whisk the egg yolks and sugar until thick. Add in the flour.
  4. Slowly add the coconut milk, knead until smooth but not sticky dough formed.
  5. Roll dough into a thin sheet. shape thin sheet with a cutter.
  6. Bake for 20 minutes.


  

 






If store in an airtight container, these cookies will last for at least 2 months. Mine didn't last that long, for our guest who tried it for the first time love it very much, so I doggy bag some for them to take home, and Tony finish up the rest while watching hockey games.  


No comments:

Post a Comment