Thursday, September 29, 2011

Happy Bird-day Cake





My darling is turning 5 this month! Many moons ago, he already requested an angry bird cake for his birthday. After much googling, I found some really nice angry bird pictures. I downloaded the pictures onto my iPad.

Making this cake was nothing but time consuming! Can you believe, I took Friday off from work, just to work on the cake. After running some errands in the morning, I start working on mixing the colors. Getting the right color is actually harder than making the bird itself. After getting all the color I need for the birds, I call it a day.

I spend my Saturday baking and making birds. We are hosting a BIRD-day party for him on Sunday. This weekend I baked a total of 4 cakes and a kuih talam. Good thing we do catering, if not we'll have just cake party. If you know me well, you know I can't cook  :(( I like to bake, but I don't like to cook.

The cake was actually completed 30 minutes before our guest arrived. Not only I was pleased, all of our guest were impressed! After all the hard work, I deserve the compliments :))) **pat myself on the shoulder**


HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DARLING!



Things that you'll need:

Fondant
Gumpaste
Foodwritter (edible marker)
Color, lots of color
Pictures
iPad, optional.







Meet the casting crew













Happy BIRD-day!!!



9 comments:

  1. where there is a will, there is a way :))
    guess what, next thing, i'm gonna make him an angry bird costume for Halloween...not cake related :P not sure where my sewing skill at?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! If you hadn't said u baked the cake yourself, I wouldn't have believed u bought it from the angry bird maker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lina, they weren't hard to make, but time consuming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi
    Awesome cake, loved your details, sooo good, i have a couple of question for you, hope you will answer, do you use home made fondant or buy it from store, if so which brand do you use, i once made Marshmallow fondant at home it fine while putting on a cake but it became saggy and sticky after a while, my flower started to collapse and it was a mess :( , my last question after your cake is done do you put it in the fridge or leave it outside.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks dis.
    I use Satin Ice rolled fondant and gum paste. Sometime I use Wilton as well. I cover the cake with fondant only, to make the birds and pigs, I combine equal portion of fondant and gumpaste. Fondant itself is soft, that's why you only use it to covering your cake. To make your deco. you need to combined with gumpaste, to help harden it. If you check my other fondant posts, i use only gum paste to make flowers.
    To avoid sticky, try to dust with confectioner sugar. I never try making fondant myself. And I leave the cake outside.
    Hope this help.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so jealous of Ryan birthday cake! Haha It very beautiful and look super delicious! He has the best bakery cheif and wonderful mom in the world together. I love his birthday cake. Another fine excellent job you did there Alice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Elmen! Will try to post his 7th birthday cake. See which one you like better. Actually this was by far my favourite bday cake

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your welcome Alice. I look forward seeing his 7th birthday cake. Sure, sound good. Oh really, well that wonderful because this is a very well done cake you did!

    ReplyDelete