Sunday, February 26, 2012

Bak Kwa (肉干)





Everytime I went back home, I will brought over some favourite local stuff. Bak Kwa is one of my favourite, especially the one in KL. My sister knows where to get me the good stuff, and I will wrap them will layers of plastic bag and put them in between my clothes deep inside my luggage. Bringing back bak kwa is illegal because custome will not allow meat product. I don't want to take any chances, therefore, I went google bak kwa recipe... many recipes out there! And it wasn't hard at all.

For those of us who live aboard, DIY is the only way to ease our craving.

Happy Baking!!


Bak Kwa

Ingredients:

500g minced pork
2 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp thick dark soy sauce
1 tbsp sweet soy sauce
2 tbsp shaoxing wine
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp five spice powder
1 tsp oil

Steps:

1.  Place all ingredients in a mixing bowl, use a pair of chopsticks and stir vigorously in one direction until a gluey paste is formed.

2.  Cover and leave it overnight in the fridge.



The next day:

3.  Pre-heat over to 260F.

4.  Line a parchment paper on a baking sheet, place half the meat on top.

5.  Cover the meat with clingfilm and roll into a thin sheet.

6.  Bake for 20 minutes.

7.  Increase temperature to 360F and bake for another 30 minutes until the sides are charred.

8.  Cool and cut into pieces.

9.  (optional) Place the bak kwa on the grill, keep a close eye, don't overcooked (or place it on the wire tray and put it in the oven for 15 minutes at 300F).








No comments:

Post a Comment