Monday, November 22, 2010

Bake-free mango cheesecake



On Christmas Eve, we all get together at Mark & Yvonne place. In the past few years, they invited one Jewish family to celebrate Christmas with us. What so special about this family? Nothing, they are nice people. Well, they don't celebrate Christmas, they celebrate Hanukka. The desserts they bring over is special, this is what I'm trying to say. **grin**
 I love Elisa's homemade desserts, especially her cheesecake. The best cheesecake I ever tasted. Elisa is a baker, she owns a bakery. That explain how good she is. 

I was dying for her cheesecake. It's light, smooth and creamy.  Every year, I'm looking forward to her cheesecake. I was that desperate.

Last year, she didn't make!!! Can you believe she didn't make my favourite cheesecake that I'd been waited for 364 days. I almost breakdown. I was so disappointed. It was like when you came home, your kid run to you and see you came home empty handed, the disappointment spells on her face. That was me! You can picture me at the party finding out no cheesecake for dessert on that evening. It was really distasteful!

Wait no more. Yesterday, I tried out this oven-free cheesecake, and it taste almost like Elisa's one. It's so yummy, I can't help myself - I have two serving at 10pm (at bedtime)!

Yum Yum Yum Yum Yum, Delicioso!


Ingredients:

For mango puree:
2 ripe mango1, peeled and pitted
20ml water (optional)

For the crust:
100g graham cracker crumbs2
35g butter, melted
10g sugar

For the cheesecake layer:
200g mango puree
100g mango, diced
200g cream cheese, room temperature
120ml heavy cream (or 35% whipping cream)
2tbsp milk
60g sugar
50g sour cream
2tbsp lemon juice
1tbsp gelatine powder
1tbsp rum (optional)

For the jelly topping:
200g mango puree
50ml water
1tbsp lemon juice
1tbsp powdered gelatine

Steps:

Prepare the mango puree:
·  In a blender or food processor fitted with metal blade, process the mango  
   dices until completely processed. You may skip the water if your blender or
   food processor's metal blade runs without water.

Prepare the crust:
·  Mix all ingredients together until well combined. Press the mixture evenly to
   cover the base of a 7" (or 8") round springform pan3. Refrigerate until set.

Prepare the cheesecake layer:
·  In a mixer, beat the cream cheese until fluffy. Add in sugar, beat until ight
   and creamy.
·  Add mango puree, sour cream, heavy cream, milk and lemon juice, beat until
   well combined.
·  Heat the mixture in a saucepan set over medium heat until it starts to
   bubble. Remove from the heat. Add the gelatine and stir until it is
   completely dissolved. Let cool to room temperature.
·  Pour the mixture on top of the chilled crust. Sprinkle diced mango on the
   mixture, level the mixture smoothly. Refrigerate for at 5-6 hours.

Prepare the jelly topping:
·  In a heatproof bowl, combine mango puree, water lemon juice and sugar.
   Heat the mixture over medium heat and cook until it bubbles. Remove from
   the heat. Stir in gelatine until it dissolves. Let cool to room temperature.


Pour the jelly topping to the chilled cheesecake. Refrigerate for another 4-5 hours.

To serve, run a knife around the edge of the cake to release from the pan and remove the spring form collar. 









~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 




This mango cheesecake recipe is a delightful no bake cheesecake that would perfect for summer time. Though it's no the case here. I still love it.


Note:
1.  Canned mango will do too.
2.  You can use graham cookies or digestive cookies for the crust. Crush the
     cookies in a food processor or with the end of a rolling pin until they
     resemble fine crumbs.
3.  I don't have mousse cake ring, otherwise I would have use it. If you are
     using the mousse cake ring, line the bottom with thin foil.

3 comments:

  1. oh sis!! thanks for posting this for me but the instruction looks tough to follow!!! and I only know a few of the ingredients that you name, need to google liao~!!! hopefully i can try this out this coming weekend.
    And I can imagine your desperation..haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I'm not good at interpreting the recipe from the book. It's actually simple, you just need to have everything weighted out ahead of time.
    I suggest you start in the morning, so by end of the day, you can enjoy your cheesecake!
    I started after dinner. Obviously I don't have 5-6 hours for refrigeration. I actually put it in the freezer for around 3 hours before I pour the jelly topping.
    trust me, it's not hard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find you did a wonderful job on your mango cheese cake Alice! The work and the look it seem you did your best and look wonderful. Would love to taste your cooking one day. Excellent job on making the mango cheese cake! Two thumbs up!!! :)

    ReplyDelete