Monday, November 29, 2010

Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls


We spent our weekend joining the flock to the States hunting for Black Friday deals. The dollar is at the parity, why not?

It is expected to be a high-volume shopping weekend. So, I have a game plan. Everything turned out as planned. Though it was tiring, but we were having good time.

As much as I wanted to try 2 new recipes this weekend, Black Friday hype gets underway. By the time we got home it was already late afternoon, only one can only be done. While making this, I decided to whip up a batch of fresh homemade dinner rolls for breakfast tomorrow. Also, I promised Loudel to post the recipe. I know, I know. I'd promised so many of you, close and distant, to post your requested recipes. I'll try my best to post more recipes.

Baking two different recipes at once is no easy job. I wish I have 4 arms at some point. Halfway frosting the cake, the microwave timer is beeping, the bread has done resting. Put the spatula down, take the bread tray out, sprinkle water on the breads, keep it inside the oven for another 40 minutes rest. Continue frosting.

After both the cake and bread were done. It's almost 12. Left the cleaning to do. Cutting boards, measuring cups, spoons, mixers, plastic wraps, scattered around the kitchen. Both sinks were piled with creamy bowls, greasy pans, dirty dishes. My kitchen is a disaster!

I actually enjoy cleaning. Turning a messy room into neat and tidy gives me a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment.



Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls
yield 16 buns

Ingredients:

(A)
100g leftover cooked rice
200g water

Combine rice and water in a saucepan set over medium heat until the rice comes to rolling boil. Let cool.


(B)
230ml cooled rice (A)
200g bread flour
100g whole wheat flour
30g sugar
40g butter, diced
3/4tsp instant yeast*
1/8tsp salt

Steps:

1.    In a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment, combine all
       ingredients B (except for the butter), mix at speed 1 for 2-3 minutes 
       (reserve 30% of the cooled rice).
2.    Increase the speed to 4 and knead for 3 minutes until the dough is form.
       Slowly add in reserved rice. Reduce the speed to 1-2 everytime you add
       the rice. Continue knead until the dough is soft.
3.    Add in butter, knead until well combined at speed 1 for 2 minutes.
4.    Then increase the speed to 4, knead for 15-20 minutes until the dough
       can stretch easily without breaking.






Coat a tupperware (or deep bowl) with cooking oil, transfer the dough to the tupperware, cover with wet towel. Let rise in microwave for 60 minutes until doubled in volume. A warm glass of water will help keep the temperature up in the microwave, replaced when the water turned cold.

Lightly grease a 9"x9" square pan with cooking oil/spray, lay a parchment paper on top (I was running out of parchment paper).

Sprinkle water on the rolls, let rise in the oven for another 50 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven at the last 10 minutes of the rising time. Preheat the oven to 350F.
Turn risen dough out onto a lightly floured surface; pat into a round or rectangle and divided into 16 portions (each portion weigh 33g). Shape each portion into a ball and place into a prepared square pan. (12 balls around the edge, 4 rolls in the center. Leave a space between each roll).

Bake for 20 minutes






  


The resulting rolls are soft and delicious.
Note:
* original recipe asked for 1/2tsp. My kitchen temperature is a bit low, I need a little bit more.


1 comment:

  1. It almost lunch time over here and right i'm stuck to your page looking at all of these yummy delicious food. This one got my attention so well at the moment at this time and made me feel like I have got to taste one of those dinner roll. Beside seeing the finish work, but looking at all the steps you have didand the beautiful pictures you took, I can say it must taste super goodeven I didn't try one. Haha

    ReplyDelete