Friday, December 31, 2010

Lots of kisses


I wasn't supposed to bake today. Early this week I visited the ER twice. And I promise Tony I will rest and stay away from kitchen.

We are hosting the new year eve party at our house tonight. And I just can't sit there do nothing. Without Tony knowledge, I did three desserts for tonight. One of which is this Chocolate Meringue cookies.

This is my second attempt of making this cookies. I did a silly mistake on my first attempt by wrongly convert the required temperature to Celsius. I doubled the required temperature. Ouch! Guess what happen? Less than half an hour, my whole house smell burn... it takes two days to completely clear the burn smell in the house.

I love meringues cookies, it's light and crispy. They are easy to make, no complicated ingredient.

Happy baking!


Chocolate Meringues Cookies
adapted from Martha Steward

4 large egg whites
1 c sugar
pinch cream of tartar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 c unsweetened cocoa powder (I recommend using extra dark cocoa)

  1. Preheat your oven to 175°F. (Yes, you didn't read wrong, it is very low temperature. I screwed up the first time as I read the temperature in Celsius. )
  2. Prep a pastry bag with a large star tip. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment or silicone baking mats.
  3. Combine the egg whites, sugar and cream of tarter (you can omit the cream of tartar if using a copper bowl) in a large heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Whisk constantly over the water until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is warm to the touch (about 3-4 minutes).
  4. Remove from heat and beat the whites with a hand mixer or your stand mixer, starting on low speed and gradually increasing until stiff, glossy peaks form.
  5. Add the vanilla and mix to combine.
  6. Sift the cocoa over the meringue to break up any lumps and then fold until no streaks remain. Add the mixture to your pastry bag and pipe rows of quarter sized meringues onto the pans.
  7. Bake for 2 hours, until they lift from the pan easily. Allow to cool completely.
  8. To sandwich, melt a few ounces of your favorite chocolate and fill a zip top bag. Cut a small opening and pipe small blobs of chocolate onto each cookie. Given their awkward shape, this is best done with the meringues upside down on a baking rack. Allow the chocolate to cool for about 10 minutes and then top with a second cookie. Allow the filled cookies to sit for a couple hours or until the chocolate has set completely and then store in an air tight container for up to 2-3 days.

       



Goodbye 2010, Hello 2011!

No comments:

Post a Comment